Quebec City Museums
Located on Cape Diamant, the Citadel, which is also called the Gibraltar of the Americas, is a national historic monument and an official residence of the Governor General. Guided tours of the Citadel include a visit to the Royal 22e Régiment Museum, which has a military collection spanning more than 300 years. During the summer, the Royal 22e Régiment performs traditional military ceremonies like the Changing of the Guard.
The museum presents exhibitions featuring Québec artists, past and present, and prestigious international art exhibitions. Café-restaurant, gift shop/bookstore and room rental for private events.
Finally, a museum for Chocoholics. See how chocolate is made and learn the history of chocolate from Mayan times to the present day. Taste handmade chocolate and homemade ice cream.
This museum recreates the six sieges of Québec City and the famous battle on the Plains of Abraham. The highlights of Québec City’s military history are presented using the latest audiovisual technology and a spectacular model, measuring 36 m² (43 sq. yards), of the city as it was in 1759.
In the Vieux-Port area, near the historic site of Place-Royale, this museum presents four permanent and six temporary thematic exhibitions at a time. The museum emphasizes learning through participation and interaction.
Located at the top of the wharf, the Naval Museum of Québec allows visitors to navigate through the history of a city and its river, dive into the secrets of enemy submarines and hear the stories of Québec's naval veterans.
Adjacent to the Musee des Ursulines, the centre presents a permanent collection of objects that belonged to Mother Mary of the Incarnation and displays about the founder of the Ursuline order of nuns in Québec City.
Located on the 1663 site of the Québec Seminary dating, the Musée de l'Amérique Française (Museum of French America) traces the history of Francophones in North America. It is also the oldest museum in Canada, having exhibited its first collection in 1806.
Located in Artillery Park, this is more than a doll museum - it is also an active porcelain doll workshop, producing dolls which can be purchased at the gift shop. The museum traces the history of dolls and demonstrates the process of doll-making. Group tours are available.
Musee des Augustines de l'Hopital General de Quebec
The museum, located in the buildings that once housed the Récollets on the banks of the Saint-Charles River, contains a rich collection of works of art. Several relics that date back to the early colonies are also conserved there. Surrounding the hospital is a cemetery where many representatives of the French and English nobility, as well as General Montcalm, are buried.
Musee de la Moto
This motorcycle museum displays Harley-Davidson models from the 1920s, '30s, and '40s, as well as four "Softail Springers" customized to pay tribute to the Rolling Stones. The museum is on the same site as an active motorcycle dealership.
Musee des Augustines de l'Hotel-Dieu de Quebec
This museum tells the story of the nuns who in 1639 founded the first hospital facility in North America. The museum's collections consist of art, ethnology, French furniture, paintings, embroideries, silver, pewter, and several unique artefacts. A special exhibition illustrates the evolution of medical instruments from the 17th century to the present day. Visitors are also welcome to the church, built in 1800, where sculptures by Thomas Baillairgé may be seen.
Au Royaume du Pere Noel
The world's largest permanent miniature Christmas village exhibition, Au Royaume du Père Noël (the Kingdom of Santa Claus) is a 1600 sq. ft. interactive exhibit representing a festive, snow-covered Québec City of yesteryear.
Musee des Ursulines de Quebec
Built on the foundations of a house belonging to Madame de la Peltrie, benefactor of the monastery, the museum illustrates the religious life and the educational work of the Ursulines since their arrival in Quebec in 1639.
This museum illustrates the history of a religious order, the Soeurs du Bon-Pasteur (Sisters of the Good Shepherd), putting it in context of the social history of 19th-century Québec. Guided tours available in French and English, or in Portuguese if requested in advance. Open all year 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., closed on Mondays.