Quebec City Places of Worship & Religious Sites
This is the largest church in Québec City, measuring 81 m (265 ft) long, 34 m (111 ft) wide and 46 m (150 ft) high, including the steeples. The neo-Gothic exterior uses black granite from nearby Rivière-à-Pierre, while the neo-Roman interior is made of Saskatchewan marble that contains visible traces of fossils. Designed by the architects of the Sainte-Anne-de-Beaupré Basilica, it was constructed between 1914 and 1923 on the site of the two previous churches of the same name. Open to visitors weekday afternoons during the summer months, or by reservation.
The first Anglican Cathedral to be constructed outside of the British Isles, this church was completed in 1804. The cathedral features a Royal treasury given by the King of England and closed pews sculpted in oak that came from the Royal forest of Windsor.
Located in the historic Bon-Pasteur chapel, Espace Bon-Pasteur displays numerous works by Plamondon, Levasseur, Favre, Casavant and the Soeurs du Bon-Pasteur de Québec. Open to the public 365 days a year, the Chapel is available for guided tours, concerts, conferences, recording sessions, rehearsals and other religious and cultural activities.
Following the fire of 1881 that destroyed the original 1847 Saint-Jean Church (and almost the entire district), the current building was constructed in 1884. The church, copied from two medieval French designs, features a 73-meter (240-foot) spire which towers high above the surrounding neighbourhood. The scale of the church is impressive, and the ornate decorations include dozens of statues, paintings, marble furniture pieces and 36 stained-glass windows. Guided tours are offered during the summer.
Built on the site of the first chapel constructed by Champlain in 1633, Notre-Dame de Québec Church was erected in 1647 and became the first parish church in North America in 1664. The designation of Cathedral was given in 1674. Ravaged by the bombardments during the English Conquest in 1759 and destroyed again by fire in 1922, the cathedral has been rebuilt twice. The cathedral houses a crypt and the tomb of Monsignor François-de-Laval, first bishop of Québec and founder of the Canadian Church.
Sanctuaire Notre-Dame du Sacre-Cœur Shrine
This Gothic-style chapel, a replica of the Notre-Dame du Sacré-Coeur chapel in Issoudun, France, opened its doors in 1910. Guided tours or pilgrimages are offered upon request.
Eglise Saint-Sauveur Church
The construction of the first Saint-Sauveur Church began in 1850, but it was still under construction when it burned down in 1866. The rebuilding process was much quicker, and the current church was completed in 1868. The bell tower, a late addition in 1892, has four large bells, the largest of which weighs five thousand pounds. Guided tours are offered to groups of 10 or more, by reservation only.
Èglise Notre-Dame-des-Victoires is one of the oldest stone churches in Quebec and was built in 1688.
Eglise Saint-Dominique Church
Built in 1930 during the Great Depression, this imposing English neo-Gothic style church features over 500 sculptures by Lauréat Vallière, master-sculptor at the école de Sculpture de Saint-Romuald. Guided tours are offered on a reservation-only basis.
Eglise Saint-Francois d'Assise Church
The construction of the current church began in 1918 on the site of the old chapel. While the external construction was completed in 1927, the interior was not finished until 1942. The church’s exterior was constructed using dented stone and the façade gives way to a steeple entrance. Points of interest include the relic of Zachée, stained-glass windows, mosaics and a replica of an antique French statue of Notre-Dame de Roc-Amadour.